A “scarred” undertaker talks about the toys she’ll never let her kids play with, and now her dazzling TikTok is going viral.
Funeral director and mom @lovee.miss.lauren got over 5.7 million views, 722,000 likes and 10,000 comments when she uploaded the timely PSA to her account.
Now, like the TikTok that went viral to reveal what can happen when you sleep with your bedroom door closed, Lauren’s video is sending chills to parents around the world.
“I practically grew up in a funeral home, and as many funeral directors will say, child deaths are the hardest we’ve ever had to deal with,” Lauren explains.
“As you get older, you find yourself extra protective of your kids because you know what can happen in the blink of an eye.”
In her TikTok — and a rapidly rising follow-up video — Lauren lists the following toys as off-limits in her home:
Everything with a string
Toys with magnets
The American Academy of Pediatrics supports Lauren’s warnings. According to the website, water-absorbing gel beads can expand up to 200 times when they come into contact with water, resulting in dangerous obstructions that may not be detected by X-rays if swallowed or placed in the ears.
Toys with loose string, twine, ribbons or cord – especially when the strings are more than 12 inches (30 cm) long, such as tug toys or skipping ropes – can be dangerous for children.
Teething necklaces, which can cause choking or strangulation, should never be worn by little ones. Instead, parents should massage their children’s gums or give hard rubber teethers that are not frozen.
Button cell batteries — found in music cards, toys, remote controls, thermometers, hearing aids, calculators, bathroom scales, key chains, cameras, and holiday decorations, for example — can cause serious injury or death if swallowed.
The use of trampolines has long been discouraged by the AAP because serious injuries can be sustained even when cushions and fencing are present.
Magnets, if swallowed, can trap tissue between the magnets, leading to potentially fatal injuries.
Fidget spinners, whether plastic or metal, often contain small pieces and/or batteries that can be a choking hazard.
Hammocks, whether intended for small children or toys, can be twisted around the necks of little ones, leading to strangulation.
Lauren isn’t the only TikToker begging parents to remove dangerous toys from their homes. Reese’s Purpose took to the internet in 2020 to warn parents about deadly button batteries, and That Water Bead Lady has been working hard since 2017 to educate families about the dangers of water beads.
“I Can’t Imagine What You Saw”
Thousands of TikTokers reacted to Lauren’s PSAs and shared their own scary experiences.
“I am an ER nurse and I have the saddest story about button batteries. People should keep those away from children and pets! So sad,” one user wrote.
“Answering 911 calls all day has made me the same! So many things can hurt little ones!” said another.
“As a former hospital chaplain… YUP,” one user agreed.
“I can see how all of these are valid. I can’t imagine what you saw 🥺,” commented one user.
“This video could save so many lives. thanks for bringing this to our babies❤️🩹,” another user wrote.
Parents wondering if their children’s toys are safe, or looking for possible Christmas gifts for this holiday season, can check out the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website or HealthyChildren.org.
In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!
The post Mortician mom reveals the toys she’ll never give her kids: ‘Call me the Grinch’ appeared first on In The Know.
More from In The Know:
Shocking TikTok Reveals What Can Happen When You Sleep With Your Bedroom Door Closed: ‘New Fear Unlocked’
Mother begs parents to check home for potentially deadly button batteries: ‘Let’s save our babies’
The 10 best steals and deals from The North Face’s Black Friday sale
Kendra Scott’s Black Friday sale marks necklaces, rings, earrings and more 30% off