Blade of Darkness, which first launched on February 21, 2001 for PC, is now available for Switch via the Nintendo eShop through publisher QubicGames. While it will normally cost $14.99, it is currently available at a launch discount price of $8.99.
Here’s an overview of the game, via QubicGames:
A grim new threat looms over The Central Kingdoms. The borders protected by the ferocious King’s Knights are no longer secure. The terrifying orc clans, more numerous than ever, lurk on every road. The proud nomadic peoples of the steppes are on their guard, for strange beasts prowl in the darkness. Not even the tough dwarves, hidden in their underground palaces, seem safe from threat – from the unfamiliar tunnels of the mines, a filthy army of hideous creatures inexorably emerges.
Chaos seizes the world. Only the memory of the elder recalls the exploits of a hero and a pair of warriors, who fought against the forces of Chaos in other times. Ianna, the mother of all living things, gave the hero a powerful sword to go into the abyss and defeat evil. But that happened a long time ago. A new hero is needed, a chosen one worthy to wield the sword and destroy the enemy…this time forever.
Most important features
- Four playable characters – Choose your champion from Ianna – Tukaram, the barbarian; Naglfar, the dwarf; Sargon, the knight; or Zoe, the Amazon – each with unique strengths, weaknesses and fighting skills, as you fight your way through a blood-soaked quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos.
- Bloody and bloody battles – Learn devastating combo attacks and use them to slice up your opponents. Chop off your enemies’ limbs and use them as weapons!
- A detailed and dark fantasy world – Battle orcs, trolls, golems, demons, skeletons and dozens of evil enemy creatures as you explore treacherous tombs, frozen fortresses, demonic spires, deserts, temples and palaces.
- Interactive environments – Destroy in-game objects with fire or your fists while solving puzzles and defusing traps that combine physics, hydraulic systems and deadly traps!
- Re-release of a true genre-defining game – We are happy to bring Blade of Darkness back to life, an enduring classic that, at the time of its release, inspired many games in the action-adventure genre through its approach to combat.
Blade of Darkness is also available for PC via Steam and GOG.
Watch the Switch launch trailer below.